Marvel Entertainment have announced a long-gestating multi-form project that promises to bring a next generation of heroes to a next generation of fans, via the next generation of media, including web content, digital streaming and mobile publications. Six digital shorts, due to land online early next year, and followed by an animated feature film – MARVEL RISING: SECRET WARRIORS – are the first instalments of MARVEL RISING, set to feature the likes of Ms. Marvel, America, Patriot and the Carol Danvers iteration of Captain Marvel (characters designed by the UK’s own JAMIE MCKELVIE, as it happens).
This is a bold and deliberate statement of intent to move the company fully forward, something supported by the live action arm of the company with Marvel Studio‘s Kevin Feige‘s recent quotes that the status of the current Marvel Cinematic Universe will be changing dramatically by the end of the INFINITY WAR movies.
Speaking of the live action stuff, the content will feature voice talent that spans the various media releases and two of those voices will be familiar to fans of MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. Ming-Na Wen (Melinda May) will be voicing the MARVEL RISING version of Hela, while Chloe Bennet will be reprising her role as Daisy Johnson, aka Quake. Quite the upshot for a company that has seemed to want to distance itself from the popular series, which has recently returned for its fifth season.
The ladies join a staggering roster of talent which are set to propel Marvel Entertainment into the hearts and minds of a new generation – looking forward to seeing what the creative teams put to MARVEL RISING will offer in the months and years to come…
MARVEL TO LAUNCH NEW ANIMATION FRANCHISE ‘MARVEL RISING’
Feature Length Film And Six, Four-Minute Digital Shorts Set to Debut the Property – Key Voice Cast Includes Dove Cameron, Chloe Bennet, Tyler Posey, Kim Raver and BooBoo Stewart Among Others
“Marvel Entertainment announced today MARVEL RISING, a brand-new, multi-platform animation franchise starring the next generation of Marvel heroes set to launch in 2018. The program will launch with six, four-minute digital shorts that spotlight Spider-Gwen with her new secret moniker, Ghost-Spider, and introduce audiences to the world of MARVEL RISING. Following the shorts, a feature-length animated film, MARVEL RISING: SECRET WARRIORS will premiere later that year. Distribution partners for the content to be announced at a later date.
The content features an all-star line-up of voice talent including Dove Cameron, Chloe Bennet, Tyler Posey, BooBoo Stewart, Kathreen Khavari, Milana Vayntrub, Cierra Ramirez, Kamil McFadden, Skai Jackson, Kim Raver, Ming-Na Wen, Steven Weber, and Dee Bradley Baker among others. Future stories and content are also being developed across Marvel’s digital and publishing platforms and will be announced at a later date.
MARVEL RISING: SECRET WARRIORS is a long-anticipated event, bringing together Marvel’s newest and beloved characters that have garnered major fan excitement over the last few years. Powered teens Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Quake, Patriot, America Chavez, and Inferno join forces as an unlikely, but formidable crew of aspiring heroes. When a threat no one could have expected bears down on the Marvel Universe, this ragtag, untrained band of teens have no choice but to rise together and prove to the world that sometimes the difference between a “hero” and “misfit” is just in the name.
“Marvel characters are so relatable because they live in our world and face the same challenges we do. So I’m very excited that our Marvel Rising team of heroes is so inclusive, reflecting characters with different backgrounds, particularly a set of strong female leads that our young audience can connect with,” said Cort Lane, Marvel’s Senior Vice President of Animation & Family Entertainment.
Sana Amanat, Marvel’s Director of Content & Character Development, added, “This project is unlike anything we’ve done before—from featuring the rising and fan-favorite stars of the Marvel Universe, to a visually distinct animation style, this is a groundbreaking animated event. It’s an action-packed adventure, full of comedy, heart and powerful messages for every kind of Marvel fan.”
Meet the characters behind MARVEL RISING:
- GWEN STACY, aka GHOST-SPIDER (formerly SPIDER-GWEN), voiced by Dove Cameron (“Descendants,” “Hairspray Live”) – a free spirited teen who found her calling to be a super hero after being bitten by a radioactive spider and gaining spider-like powers. As Ghost-Spider, she aids those in need, but has to keep her alter-ego a secret from her father, Captain George Stacy, who sees Ghost-Spider as more of a menace than a hero.
- DAISY JOHNSON, aka QUAKE, voiced by Chloe Bennet (“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” “Nashville”) – a leading agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. whose tendency for rule-breaking gets her into trouble now and then. Daisy befriends the young group of heroes and through them discovers how to become a better leader. She can generate powerful vibrational waves, which produce effects similar to earthquakes.
- DANTE PERTUZ, aka INFERNO, voiced by Tyler Posey (“Teen Wolf,” “Lincoln Heights”) – a brooding, dark loner on the run. Dante has the power of pyrokinesis, which makes him capable of generating flames – however, he is not fully in control of his fiery abilities. It’s a thin line between good guy and villain for the unpredictable Inferno.
- VICTOR KOHL, aka EXILE, voiced by BooBoo Stewart (“Descendants,” “The Twilight Saga”) – a charming, handsome, and troublesome young Inhuman whose quest for superiority places him into the wrong crowd. He can use Darkforce energy to create weapons and portals that allow him to teleport.
- KAMALA KHAN, aka MS. MARVEL, voiced by Kathreen Khavari (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Big Little Lies”) – a devoted fan of Super Heroes, especially of her mentor Captain Marvel; she is determined that she too can be a great hero! If only she’d be taken seriously. Kamala is equipped with metamorphic powers that allow her to stretch, enlarge, or shrink her overall size, parts of her body, or alter her physical appearance. She is especially fond of “embiggening” her fists.
- Doreen Green aka Squirrel Girl voiced by Milana Vayntrub (“Marvel’s New Warriors,” “This Is Us”) – the uber-positive, hilarious best friend and teammate of Ms. Marvel. With advanced computer skills, enhanced strength, agility, durability, and senses of a squirrel, Doreen (along with her squirrel partner, Tippy Toe!), is primed and ready to become a successful hero.
- AMERICA CHAVEZ, voiced by Cierra Ramirez (“The Fosters,” “The Secret Life of an America Teenager”) – a strong, independent young hero whose painful past drives her to reject leadership and remain a loner. America’s powers include superhuman strength, speed, and durability, plus the ability to fly.
- RAYSHAUN LUCAS, aka PATRIOT, voiced by Kamil McFadden (“K.C. Undercover,” “Grown Ups 2”) – a natural born leader who is quick to leap into action to impress his colleagues at S.H.I.E.L.D. Rayshaun strives to live up to Captain America’s legacy with integrity, honesty, and order above all. His skills include heightened strength, speed, stamina, and durability.
- GLORIA ‘GLORY’ GRANT voiced by Skai JacksFron (“Bunk’d,” “Jessie”) – Gloria, or ‘Glory,’ is Gwen Stacy’s friend and member of their garage band “The Emm-Jays.” Gloria is a smart, hard-working girl that genuinely cares for Gwen, but has felt a distance growing between them ever since their friend, Kevin, was murdered. When being casual, Gloria’s known to be funny, sarcastic and sassy.
- CAROL DANVERS, aka CAPTAIN MARVEL, voiced by Kim Raver (“Grey’s Anatomy,” “24”) – a bold leader who doesn’t sugar-coat and is guided by a strong sense of duty and honor. She’s the ultimate inspiration for our band of misfit heroes. She is equipped with superhuman strength, can fly at high speeds, and can project intense energy blasts.
- HALA voiced by Ming-Na Wen (“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” “Mulan”) – Hala is a Kree Accuser bent on galactic domination. She’ll go to any length or treacherous means to achieve what she, and the entire Kree race, wants: Power. Hala is cold, cryptic and nefarious, often challenging those who try to oppose her.
- CAPTAIN GEORGE STACY voiced by Steven Weber (“13 Reasons Why,” “NCIS: New Orleans”) – Chief of the NYPD and Gwen Stacy’s loving, but fiercely protective father. Captain Stacy is a very disciplined, hard-working man that will stop at nothing to obtain justice – who unfortunately sees Ghost-Spider as a menace and a threat to society.
- LOCKJAW and TIPPY TOE are voiced by Dee Bradley Baker (“Star Wars Rebels,” “Gravity Falls”). Two lovable and heroic sidekicks: Lockjaw is Kamala’s trusty, teleporting mutt and Tippy Toe is Doreen’s partner in crime and best squirrel friend.
MARVEL RISING: SECRET WARRIORS is executive produced by Joe Quesada, Dan Buckley, Cort Lane, and Eric Radomski; co-executive produced by Stan Lee, Sana Amanat, and Marsha Griffin. The film and shorts were written by Mairghread Scott. Alfred Gimeno served as supervising director.
For more information, check out “Marvel Rising” at www.Facebook.com/MarvelRising<http://www.facebook.com/MarvelRising>, www.Twitter.com/MarvelRisingSW<http://www.twitter.com/MarvelRisingSW>, and www.Instagram.com/MarvelRising<http://www.instagram.com/MarvelRising>