First Look: Marvel Comics celebrate Women’s History Month in 2016 with WOMEN OF POWER variant covers
Sometimes, you need an event like WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH to highlight the influence and talents of women in comics, especially when Marvel Comics take a whole number of them and get these amazing talents to showcase the female creations of the Marvel Universe – however few they may be.
Because, if there’s one thing this list of both creatives and IP’s demonstrate, the industry isn’t quite there yet: a number of these titles are being grossly under represented on the comics stands and it’s not entirely a female artist roster putting pencil/iPad pen to paper/iPad Pro. Indeed, there’s also some doubling up going on here with superstar artist Emanulea Lupacchino putting in multiple appearances on the list below (a shortcoming perhaps not helped by the fact that it is her three covers have been released today to showcase the Women In Power initiative).
There will also be some justified grumblings around corners of t’interwebs that some of the big, high profile players of the Marvel roster are bring painted by blokes – Jamie McKelvie will be taking on A-FORCE, Kevin Wada is tackling BLACK WIDOW and Jamal Campbell is doing the cover for SCARLET WITCH, for example.
Still, this will be an opportunity for some up-and-coming talents to shine: Tula Lotay is hardly a newcomer but people are still becoming more familiar with her work so it will be interesting to see what she does with the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9 cover. Likewise, incredible emerging talents such as Kirby Fagan, Siya Oum, Pia Guerra and Yasmine Putri will all benefit from having these covers presented front and centre. And you can’t say fairer than that.
From the Marvel Comics press release:
WOMEN OF POWER VARIANTS Showcase Marvel’s Mightiest in March!
“This March, Marvel is celebrating Women’s History Month by gathering some of Marvel’s most iconic female characters for a very special variant cover theme. Today, Marvel is pleased to announce the first ever Women of Power Variant Covers – brought to you by some of the biggest names in the industry and the superstars of tomorrow.
“From returning favorites like Spider-Gwen and Ms. Marvel to new characters like Moon Girl, 2015 was a huge year for the women of Marvel,” says Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing David Gabriel. “2016 will be no different and we’re excited to kick that off with our Women of Power variant initiative early next year.”
You won’t want to miss these 25 jaw-dropping variant covers, coming to these exciting titles in March!
- A-FORCE #4 by Jamie McKelvie
- ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT AVENGERS #7 by Evan Shaner
- ALL-NEW HAWKEYE #5 by Phil Noto
- ALL-NEW WOLVERINE #6 by Vanesa Del Ray
- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9 by Tula Lotay
- BLACK WIDOW #1 by Kevin Wada
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: SAM WILSON #7 by Nen Chang
- CAPTAIN MARVEL #3 by Emanuela Lupacchino
- DAREDEVIL #5 by Sara Pichelli
- DEADPOOL #8 by Annie Wu
- EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN #8 by Lenil Yu
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #6 by Siya Oum
- INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #7 by Kate Niemczyk
- THE MIGHTY THOR #5 by Laura Braga
- MOCKINGBIRD #1 by Kirbi Fagan
- MOON GIRL AND DEVIL DINOSAUR #5 by Pia Guerra
- MS. MARVEL #5 by Emanuela Lupacchino
- PATSY WALKER A.K.A. HELLCAT #4 by Erica Henderson
- SCARLET WITCH #4 by Jamal Campbell
- SPIDER-GWEN #6 by Emanuela Lupacchino
- THE TOTALLY AWESOME HULK #4 by Meghan Hetrick
- THE ULTIMATES #5 by Yasmine Putri
- UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #6 by Kamome Shirahama
- UNCANNY AVENGERS #7 by Joelle Jones
- UNCANNY INHUMANS #6 by Bill Sienkiewicz
This March – meet the WOMEN OF POWER. Coming to you on 25 explosive variant covers! Run, don’t walk to your local comic shop to get your hands on these can’t miss WOMEN OF POWER VARIANTS!”